I’d like to invite each of you to celebrate Earth Day (Friday April 22nd) by taking an “Energy Regeneration Retreat” with Shiva Rea, myself, and the greater yoga community. This is a simple yet transformational retreat that involves unplugging from our tech savvy world and diving deeper within.
Earth Day is dedicated to promote awareness and appreciation for the Earth and to honor our connection with nature and the elements; the air we breathe, the water we drink, the food we eat. According to Shiva Rea, “In the US, we waste more energy than we create, we throw away more food than we eat and are fueling 95% of our life from sources that are limited and polluting when it would only take .02% of the sun’s energy everyday to power the world’s current energy needs.” So lets join together as a unified collective to make a difference, to consciously create a shift in our own energy use and inspire others to do the same.
If you are interested in joining us please do three things. First, visit http://shivarea.com/_webapp_1249101/YEA%21_Yoga_Energy_Activism_Ignites for more information regarding how to become a Yoga Energy Ambassador (YEA) or Energy Ambassador. Commit to being involved for one day, Earth Day, and if you feel inspired join us for the next six months. Second, create a vision for your own “Energy Regeneration Retreat.” Your retreat can be for 3 hours, 12 hours (sunrise to sunset), or a full 24 hours. Do what you can and inspire others to do the same. Third, manifest, manifest, manifest your intention on Earth Day! Below are some very simple ideas to get your creative juices flowing:
- Walk barefoot on the earth and experience your connectedness with source
- Turn off and unplug all electronics and appliances (except the refrigerator)
- Unplug and go solar or candlelight
- Eat only local, organic food for the day
- Have a care free day. Take the bus or ride your bike instead of driving your car
- Turn the lights off when you leave a room
- Stop junk mail
- Have your bills sent electronically instead of by snail mail (sign up for this the day before your retreat)
- Do some spring cleaning and recycle old possessions by donating them to Goodwill
- Switch to 100% wind power electricity or solar energy
- Plant a tree
- Use cloth diapers instead of disposable diapers
- Use compact florescent light bulbs (except of course on retreat day)
- Buy a reusable water bottle and vow to no longer buy disposable water bottles
- Use candles instead of lights
- Ladies-use a diva cup or reusable pads instead of disposable pads and tampons
- Take a technology fast (no cell phone, computer, email, tv, social media)
- Waste as little as possible by composting or recycling
- Create meals with food that has little or no packaging
- Use as little energy as possible to create meals
- If it’s yellow let it mellow. Flush as few times as possible.
- Shorten the length of your shower by 2-6 minutes
- Have a conservation with at least one person about Earth Day and your personal Energy Regeneration Retreat
- Deepen your yoga and meditation practice and tap into you!
- Rest, restore, love, and spend time with your family, friends, and tribal community.
I’d love to continue this conservation via email or by sharing your experiences in class. Please let me know about your retreat, share your ideas, and offer to others what you have learned from the experience. Remember your retreat can be 3 hours, 12 hours, 24 hours, or somewhere in between.
I’ve also made several changes to my teaching schedule. Please visit www.begraceyoga.com and click on the “Class Schedule/Workshops” tab for a current list of classes. A couple highlights are below:
-Tomorrow (Tuesday April 19th) I will be starting a Mommy and Me and Toddler Yoga class at Karma
Yoga Center. Mommy and Me is from 9:45-10:45 A.M. and Toddler Yoga is from 11:00-11:45 A.M.
– Grace and I are now teaching Family Yoga weekly at Belly Bliss on Sundays from
-Starting Monday May 2nd I will be teaching Belly Yoga/Prenatal Yoga at Belly Bliss from 7:00-8:00
And always…Be Beautiful, Be Abundant, Be You, Be Grace! And remember to unplug, tap in, dive in, and rise up!